Returning your Rental Car – Fuel Tips
Your lovely rental car has been a faithful part of your team all vacation, but when it is time to say goodbye, your ever trusty steed may deliver a final kick that you didn’t expect!
Depending how you agreed to cover fuel costs at the rental pick up desk at the start of your vacation, you may need to return the car full of fuel.
Option 1 Return the Car Filled
Basically, they give you a car full of fuel and they expect one back in return.
- Gives you freedom to fill up at the lowest cost gas stations
- You are not tied to the rental car company gas rates
- You need to fill up just before you reach the airport
- You may feel pressured on the return day if you are late
- If you turn up part full, you may get charged a fuel penalty plus the fuel
- You are at the mercy of some $6/gal pump prices near Orlando International Airport!
- Read this article about excessive fuel price charges near the airport.
Option 2 Prepaid Fuel Option
Many Orlando visitors, go for this through convenience, especially if the rental company offers a price that’s within a few cents of the local gas prices.
- You buy the full tank of gas at the start
- You are told the fuel rates at the desk
Make sure they match the local pump prices
Gasbuddy.com is a good reference to help you decide
- You can return the car with as much or little fuel as you wish
- If you leave too much in you usually lose that fuel
(Some do offer a credit but not often)
- Prepaid fuel is very convenient and offers least surprises
- Some people run out of gas on the way to the airport trying to return the tank empty!
- Some people return their car quite full, leaving them heavily out of pocket if the company does not inspect the fuel levels and offer credits.
- Leaving 1/8 of fuel in a regular car’s tank will cost you about $10
- TOP TIP Fill up near your resort and drive carefully to the airport, and it will still show FULL