New Italian Restaurant at Disney Boardwalk – Trattoria al Forno
Taking a very, very deep breath and a lowly sigh, we share the news from the Disney Parks Blog that Walt Disney World’s latest addition to the Epcot Resort area’s Disney Boardwalk will be Trattoria al Forno.
Admittedly, we have a pet thing going on about ‘Disney Style Italian Food’. we don’t mind it, our kids love it, but to be honest, there’s just way too much of this ‘meatball’ stuff scattered around the theme parks of Orlando.
Italian food is precious and should be expertly prepared with fresh ingredients and theme parks, not just Disney, tend to do a pretty good job of turning out salty, pre-prepared dishes that would make an Italian chef speechless.
As expected, Cat Cora’s Greek style Kouzzina permanently closes on September 30th to make way for Trattoria al Forno to open in time for the Christmas Holidays.
Hopefully, Trattoria al Forno will follow in the steps of CityWalk’s Vivo Italian Kitchen by offering more freshness instead of providing a slightly better version of Tony’s Town Square Restaurant!
Disney will have definitely done their research well, but with the excellent Flying Fish Cafe right nearby and the very tempting restaurants of Epcot’s Tutto Italia Ristorante just a pleasant walk away, we are kind of left wondering if WDW is overdoing the Italian theme.
Judging by reader’s responses to one of our favorite bloggers, (Rikki Niblett’s post on Touringplans.com), we aren’t alone with our feedback about the addition of yet another family dining spot with an ‘Italian nod’.
Menu Items for the Trattoria al Forno – Sample
- Wood fired Pizza
- Braised beef Bolognese with house-made cavatelli from Bologna
- Semolina tagliatelli carbonara from Latium
- Pork chop alla Milanese named after the city of Milano.
- Chicken breast alla Parmagiana with tagliatelle pasta
- Shrimp with garlic, capers and anchovy butter with polenta
- Whole roasted fish with roasted vegetables
- Baked lasagna
- Grilled steak
- Slow-cooked lamb shank with polenta
- Eggplant rollatini
- Seasonal risotto
- Ruffled campanelle pasta with green beans, roasted potatoes and Genovese pesto.
- Tiramisù, lemon panna cotta with almond crunch and berries, gelatos, and the signature bomboloni (Italian donut holes) with dark chocolate and vanilla gelato.
- Wines from historic wine regions including 60 offerings by the bottle and more than 25 wines by the glass
- Signature cocktails and Italian beers and sodas round out the drink menu, with a signature-blend Italian coffee roasted
For the Trattoria al Forno entry in our Orlando Dining Guide click here.