Planning, Advice & Tips
Downtown Disney to become Disney Springs!
Goodbye Downtown Disney hello Disney Springs!
As spring 2013 officially arrived in the Northern Hemisphere, a big rumour has been confirmed by Disney World as being true!
We can now reveal a little more detail.
Earlier in March we highlighted a bunch of rumours that have been circulating the internet through our blog that convincingly appeared to show a major new development at Walt Disney World’s entertainment district of Downtown Disney.
The rumours have now been announced as being true by Walt Disney World’s Press Release of the 14th March 2013, a development that will probably roll out as WDW’s biggest ‘non park’ project ever.
First opened in 1975, Disney’s Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village has constantly evolved with new names, sections and directions along the way.
What we know so far about Disney Springs!
- The new Downtown Disney Development looks set to add in 2 huge mutli storey car parking lot and a large ‘mall’ type shopping centre, located near car park 3.
- Work commenced in May of 2013
- Final completion is due 2016
- Phased grand openings
- 1900s theme for architecture
- Four Interconnected neighborhoods
- Meandering springs
- Signature watertower
- New Landing areas on the Village Lake
- A Pontoon across the Marketplace area of the lake will create an ‘inner waterway’, no news yet on whether this will be for family boating
- Some of the existing buildings looks set to remain
- Major new areas of additional buildings for shops and restaurants
- A Waterway ‘Spring’ will be created between Planet Hollywood and the current Marketplace area.
- The Huge Mall will be the major feature of the new development and will also reach from the current Planet Hollywood area, right across to the T Rex Cafe.
- Most of the new shops will allow ‘walk-trhough’ routes for easier shopping and wet weather protection.
- New stores and restaurants will be ‘World Class’ according to Disney
- It is not clear how many existing stores and restaurants will be lost in the redevelopment process.
- The business model for the Mall has not been revealed, nor which brands will occupy the new development.
- Disney Springs will double the number of shops, restaurants and entertainment spots to a massive 150
- Two new parking lots will add 6000 parking spaces
- The first is due to open late 2014
- The second is expected to complete in 2016
- General Parking is likely to remain ‘free’ expect Valet Parking options
- Expected to create 1200 construction jobs
- Will create 4000 permanent jobs when completed
As more information gets revealed, we will keep updating our blog posts about Disney Springs regularly!